Sunday, November 25, 2012

Productivity

I've been really productive lately in the knitting department.  I am trying my best to catch up on unfinished projects.  Usually as knitters, we know what that means.  But it applies to other areas of my life, too.  Unfinished business, finishing what I start, follow through...it's a common theme.

In March, 2010 I started the sock yarn blanket on Ravelry, but it's also here, in case you want to make your own.  I originally thought I must have been crazy to start something like this, but I was attracted to its beauty nonetheless.  I love the novelty of seeing something off the ground, kinda getting to know what it will look like, and once I have the gist, I get bored.  The rest of the time spent actually finishing the damn thing would just be, well, a lot of repetitive work.  I'm sure there's a psychological equivalent of all this.

I think the difference now is I see the solace in those moments (or hours).  For me, it's a meditation.  I didn't used to feel this way, but I think it's all part of one's journey.  I feel a lot more connected to tradition, history, and humanity as I get older - and knitting is as much a part of humanity as the need for warmth, food and shelter.

This is the sock yarn blanket as of right now:



I've also just finished up two cowls made from Madeline Tosh yarn, one of which is shown here:


I love the color, called "Cosmos".  It's a really deep rich purple with flecks of acid green.  I will be posting the pattern on Ravelry as soon as I get some good model-y shots of it.  

The other cowl will be kept a secret until I'm ready to publish them.  They will be available as a set or individually.  

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. Many lessons learned in other fields have applied to my knitting, one of them being the ability to finish what I start. Another one is to avoid starting something that I can't finish. Then there's that other one where I learned to kill the projects that are going nowhere. Best thing about growing older is the benefit of experience.

    ReplyDelete